Restoring the King Edwards Hotel, a Neoclassical landmark, to modern standards was a key component of the larger revitalization strategy for downtown Jackson, Mississippi.
Originally the center of Jackson’s society and political events, the hotel was built in 1929, renovated in the 1950s, and placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1976. After years of decline, the hotel was closed in 1967 and sat vacant for nearly 40 years, adding to the challenge of remediating the structure. In the mid-2000s, LJC’s team began to work with a local developer, restoring the building to its former use as a hotel, while also incorporating apartments on the upper floors.
The exterior of the building and public areas, such as the lobby and grand ballroom, were restored to their original historic detail, with plaster moldings and arched ceilings. Other areas, such as the guest rooms and roof amenity deck, were updated to meet current needs. In addition to the 186-key hotel and 64 apartments, the project includes a fitness center, meeting areas, an exterior pool deck, and an adjacent parking garage.